1 a design that consists of recurring shapes or colors
2 a theme that is elaborated on in a piece of music [syn: motive]
3 a unifying idea that is a recurrent element in a literary or artistic work; "it was the usual `boy gets girl' theme" [syn: theme]
- A recurring or
dominant element; a theme.
- See how the artist repeats the scroll motif throughout the work?
- A short melodic passage that is repeated in several parts of a work
- A decorative figure that is repeated in a design
- crystallography: The physical object or objects repeated at each point of a lattice. Usually atoms or molecules.
recurring or dominant element; a theme
(music) A short melodic passage that is repeated in several parts of a work
A decorative figure that is repeated in a design
(crystallography) The physical object or objects repeated at each point of a lattice
Motive or motif are terms that turn up in many different forms in literature and other creative works, as well as other fields such as business and law.
A motif may be a recurring fragment, theme or pattern in a creative work:
- Motif (music), a perceivable or salient recurring fragment or succession of notes.
- Motif (narrative), any recurring element in a story that has symbolic significance.
- Motif (visual arts), a recurrent theme or pattern.
- Motif (chess composition), element of a move in the consideration why the piece moves and how it supports the fulfillment of the problem stipulation.
A motive may relate to intent:
- Motif (widget toolkit), a graphical user interface toolkit used in software development
- Aston Motif, a range of character generators manufactured by Aston Broadcast Systems.
- Motive, Inc., a software manufacturer.
- Motif of harmful sensation, physical or mental damage that a person suffers merely by experiencing what should normally be a benign sensation.
motif in German: Motiv
motif in French: Motif
motif in Korean: 동기
motif in Hebrew: מוטיב
motif in Japanese: 動機
motif in Norwegian: Motiv
motif in Polish: Motyw
motif in Russian: Мотив
motif in Slovak: Motív
motif in Ukrainian: Мотив
action, anagnorisis, angle, architectonics, architecture, argument, atmosphere, background, background detail, basis, beading, binding, bordering, bordure, burden, case, catastrophe, chapter, characterization, color, complication, concept, concern, continuity, contrivance, convention, decoration, decorative composition, decorative style, denouement, design, detail, development, device, edging, element, episode, essence, fable, falling action, figure, fimbria, fimbriation, flounce, focus of attention, focus of interest, foil, foreground detail, form, frill, frilling, fringe, furbelow, galloon, gimmick, gist, head, heading, hem, idea, incident, issue, leitmotif, leitmotiv, line, list, living issue, local color, main point, matter, matter in hand, meat, mood, motive, movement, mythos, national style, ornament, ornamental motif, pattern, period style, peripeteia, phrase, plan, plot, point, point at issue, point in question, problem, question, recognition, refrain, repeated figure, rising action, rubric, ruffle, scheme, secondary plot, selvage, setting, skirting, slant, story, structure, style, subject, subject matter, subject of thought, subplot, substance, switch, text, thematic development, theme, tone, topic, touch, trimming, twist, valance, welt